1. They are in a neighboring state, so there is at least a glimmer of possibility that Gordon and I can attend a game in the years ahead. The team is based in Nashville, TN.
2. I like the head coach Jeff Fisher. He goes out on the field any time any one of his players is hurt. I like that respect for his players.
He has been at the Titans for 14 years, even though I think I remember previous game announcer prattle that Fisher has been offered bigger money to coach elsewhere. I like that loyalty of coach to team and franchise to coach!
3. I like the older quarterback, Kerry Collins. He is an old guy in football culture, and this is a second chance for him to live up to his potential. He is playing with heart (as opposed to lackluster play to avoid injury until he retires.)
I forgive him for leaving the Giants in a snit when they drafted my Mississippi boy Eli Manning, although it would have demonstrated character to stay and mentor the young Eli in his first year with the Giants.
Nevertheless, Kerry is a first generation farm boy, even though his body language tells me he is rather afraid of that delicious, fat Angus in this second photo. (Photos by Debbie Roos, North Carolina Cooperative Extension). Here is a bit about his cattle farm in North Carolina.
4. The Titans were once the Houston Oilers, so the franchise has deep Texas roots just like Gordon and my father. Now isn't that a valid reason to be a fan?
Why, I like them enough to actually search for and price official, NFL sanctioned pet collars with the Titans logo. Until now, these Westies have ONLY worn Dallas Cowboy collars, so I hope the Titans appreciate this significant endorsement of their franchise.
Ok, Titans, now that the Westies and I have bestowed this honor of endorsement on you, we expect you to play above your potential! The Westies and I will be watching closely! You will have to Earn the next level of endorsement, a dog outfit made from Titan logo fabric!
A message from Annie: She liked your selection of team items for pets, but she also suggests you consider as an additional mascot, Tenacious Terrier for the Tennessee Titans. See, it has that alliteration going for it!
Then Lillibeth suggested the Titans have some dog toys made in team colors. She offered this dust catcher as a fresh idea. Fans could wave it at games like a little pom pom on a stick, and it could be made sturdy enough to be a toy for dogs and cats. Lillibeth says to make the little strings a bit longer, about a half inch.
I ditto the Westies' suggestion that the Titans expand their selection of pet items bearing the team logo. Some of us would buy team items for our pets before we even spend money on ourselves. The Titans should take that as a Teriffic compliment!
A fan who was not planning to go to the games or who does not have dogs could buy one to use for actual dusting. Just think of the positive spin:
Titans Clean Up at Home!
Titans Dust Off their Oponents!
Ok, time to make me stop blogging when my silliness collides with my creativity.
UPDATE: For my husband, who has been calling me a traitor to the Dallas Cowboys since I first posted this, I should list my NFL priorities.
1. Dallas Cowboys: Always root for the Cowboys, even when they play the next four teams.
2. Eli Manning/New York Giants: Have to root for the little brother. Mississippi bloodlines in both mother and father, so he is a Mississippian in my mind.
3. Peyton Manning/Colts: Ditto on the Mississippi Bloodlines
4. Brett Farve/Jets: Ditto on the Mississippi Bloodlines. Also want the older guy to succeed in taking the underdog team to the playoffs or beyond. Love those redemption stories!
5. Tennessee Titans: read blog post above for the reasons.
Now, when these teams play each other, my mind has to play a what-if game of twister. It is so confusing that I just take one week at a time.
Except for a Manning Superbowl (Eli vs. Peyton), I hope none of these teams play each other in the playoffs or in the Superbowl.
Now, hubby, I've posted my allegiances for all the world to see. I am NOT a traitor to the Cowboys by adding the Titans to my list of loyalties! *grin*